October 19, 2010
1. Legal – Grandparents may need legally recognized status as primary caregiver for school enrollment and/or medical consent.2. Financial -
- Kincare Grandparents often have trouble with day-to-day living expense.
- Many don’t know how to access benefits.
- Middle income grandparents slip through the cracks
- Many kincare children do not have health insurance
- Difficult to find affordable child care.
- Often not available unless the caregivers have legal custody or guardianship.
- Need some kind of legal status to enroll the child in school.
- Schools need to have an understanding of the unique situations of these children.
- Most of these children are traumatized and angry. Many have some type of disability. Both sides (Kincare Grandparents and the children) experience Grief, loss and anger.
- Grandparents may live in housing that doesn’t allow children or is inadequate due to size.